Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Houses Opposite to the Mountains

|| Estate's and Bungalow's with Granite floors, decorated ceilings, Fancy bath tubs, sparkling Lights, paintings and Designed interiors are all no match to the house, were the door opens into a four walled room on one side and a view of foggy majestic mountains on the other||

Porkodi was her name. A dark skinned women with a smile and politeness on her face.She took me behind her shop and i followed her in a steep narrow path. Few seconds of walk i see a row of 2 houses surrounded by wet green mud and a banyan tree. She opened the thick wooden door that was painted in maroon. The door opened and i saw a room. I marched in and imagined this would be something like a lobby to the house. My head spanned 180 Degrees on each side looking for Plug points and i discovered that the Lobby was everything in the house. It was just one room. Till date im not sure if i saw the room clearly or she just brought me to a room and i assumed it to be her home.



On one end of the room the bed was rolled up and arranged neatly with the bed sheets and pillows, the room contained very few objects, like a old stool, a vessel etc..I pulled the Camera battery out and integrated it with the charger and hung it from the plug point. The current would be cut by 12:00 noon she said. i switched on and the power ran through  my charger and signaled with the brightened red LED.

I should drink the coffee as slow as possible and give time for my battery to charge. She just shut the door and we went back to shop. "Were are you cumming from? are you alone?' she asked. " I'm from Chennai and yes, i came alone and im going for Trekking" and i explained her the route. She listened to the route and said me a beautiful story. " Whenever there is elections, we will have to go down the Dolphin nose, and walk up to Vellakavi and there we would vote and come back. But the forest is merciless, it will make you Thirsty.We would be around 10 people, my relatives, my family and friends. We will make 40 Bottles of Lemon Juice, all 2 Liter bottles!. Each person will have 4 Bottles to drink. 2 Bottles while going down and 2 while coming up. We will not be able to carry all the bottles, so when we walk  into the forest, we will hide 20 bottles somewhere in the bushes and take the remaining 20 Bottles with us. You should also take Bottles of water but in your case,you cannot hide it!"

I laughed hearing the story and was very happy that they take so much pain to go and vote! I remember she saying that she had a son and she had been living in the same place for 40years! As my coffee got over, the sky turned dark and wind blew. Oh my god its going to rain!, i thought.There were suddenly group of college students passing by and few cam into the shop for drink.i just sat down and waited for few more minutes. "How far is Dolphin nose from here? " i asked,  "Just around 1.5 -2km" she replied. I thought i was just few meters away from Dolphin nose and now i better start walking . Porkodi just asked me to go, open the door, get my things and shut it. i did the same after snapping a picture of the room and Porkodi herself in front of the shop. My Battery bar showed green and i was happy!. I Grabbed my stick and started walking.



After some minutes of walk i reached Dolphin Nose! The crazy part of me jumped from inside and i did  wild things , which i thought i will never do, But the Truth is i did. My acts scared "hella lotta people out there"

No comments:

Post a Comment