Monday, December 17, 2012

The Kodaikanal Trek - Phase-1 - Into the Blue!

 || " Innocence is not dumbness, its a kind heart that welcomes even the little good out of the immeasurable bad " ||                                     


The route was muddy, dry and filled with gravels. several U - turn's and it was all slope, dragging me down. At times i was even running or jogging. I  was getting down from the mountain and the view was so plain and open that i was able to see the other mountains, trees, rocks, i was like the lonely ranger marching into the woods to conquer something! after 10 minutes of trek, i saw 3 guys sitting on a rock and i asked them " Where are you coming from?", they were able to understand me but not able to give clear replies, they asked for water! Water! the most precious thing! everyone warned me how the woods would make one a thirsty crow! My brain said no and my heart said yes. I handed over a bottle and asked them to drink only a little. Well they understood that and drank very little.

"How is the place down?" i asked, " No water, very interesting , no cool, its hot" were all the uninvited replies i got! i smiled and started to move. The gravity was pulling me down and i never cared! i was brisk,  fresh and lots of energy in my heart and i kept walking. My aim was to reach the next village, Vellakavi in another hour or hour and a half, get some water there and if possible any food and from there to thumbakarai. The routes were not complex! you just have to walk on the path were ever it drags you and you will be there!



As i was walking i remembered a story or the culture about this village Vellakavi. People in that particular village walk bare footed , they do not use slippers or shoes or even a cloth to cover their foot. They respect and feel the land is sacred and walk barefooted. Any how they don't mind passers by using slippers or shoes.As i started to observe, it was lovely in the woods, the climate turned chill, the ruffling of green leaves, sound of the cricket, butterflies, chirping birds and unknown creatures suddenly creeping into bushes before i see them. 

I was expecting two things in this trek. Seeing a snake and jamming in with an OX. People, though did not mention OX as a problem , they say, even if it comes on the path just allow it to move, its harmless.I had all the lessons in mind and my eyes wide open and my senses cautious.I know i was getting down a mountain, but i did not know were or which direction! i lost sense of time and distance. I did not know how far i have come but i knew that i was some were near Vellakavi. As i was walking, i sensed a human activity at a distance. 

I was Bit unsure, who it would be! a common man or some burglar waiting to loot me, i gripped my stick and walked, i found a man reaping grass. He looked fair than brown and had a tired lazy eyes, white hair and a green T-shirt with Lungi. "How far is Vellakavi?" ,with his soft voice he replied, respectfully "Should be 1-2km ,were are you going?", i briefed him my trek route and he said " hmm.. but i think you know last bus in Thumbkarai is at 5:30pm, if you miss, you will have to go to forest officer bungalow, from there call up an auto and then you will reach periyakulam", "oh! but i can reach there by 5:30 if i walk fast ?". "May be not, its quite a distance!, for people like us its easy , but you are carrying a bag and you might not be familiar with the track and you have to be bit faster, but yes! if you try you can reach!" the last three words gave me hope. How far it may be, i will even stay in the woods at night and trek there, Now it was more interesting when he said " else you wait here with me for few more minutes, we both will go to Vellakavi and you can stay in my house! morning you can trek back to Kodaikanal and move to Chennai" Interesting offer, i gave a thought of staying with him! it will be more adventurous!




I can stay at his home, make memories, talk to village people or even spread awareness about corruption, hear to their village's myth and horror stories! as i though that i looked into the man's eye, i saw a flash of Dr.Hannibal in his face! I was like aahhhh!!! and quickly came back to the world of reality! I will have to reach Chennai tomorrow morning so that i can rest and then go to work on Monday. I turned down his offer and bid adieu to him! Natrajan was his name, he also explained why he was there! According to Natarjan, villages down kodaikanal are in drought and people now a days come into woods to reap grass to feed their cows. He wished me a safe journey, as i bid adieu to him. without looking back i started walking fast so that i can reach Vellakavi and find if there are any alternatives! and Yes, he definitely resembled Dr. Hanibal.

Vellakavi, water and alternatives were on my mind, i was in a hurry and less observed the Nature around me! The sun was on and i started to sweat! My Jerkin was of no use and it had become a burden. The path became steep and was dark , covered with thick trees and plants, i walked passed it and at the end of the path i saw a bright light and i stepped in Vellakavi. I saw  a high laid square shaped curb was built surrounding an idol, putting it in the center. 3 Men were sitting on it and to my right i found a small temple and i walked towards these men.

It was around 2:10pm, i reached Vellakavi quite early than expected! i can relax and trek to Thumbakarai and catch the bus easily! but my dear friends your  plans will never dominate the plans of nature!


No comments:

Post a Comment