Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 2 - The final Day

|| " I wanna wake up kicking and screaming, i wanna wake up kicking and screaming, i wanna know that my heart still beating, its beating, im breathing!! " ||

                                                            - Music- Switchfoot- Awakening


I had set an alarm for 6:00am in the morning, but as usual my phone messed up and it did not ring. 6:30am heard my mobile screaming switch foot's "Awakening" it was my roommate Yashwanth Reddy on call  and as soon i pressed the answer button i heard him say " Hello were are you??" , with a loud yawn i got up from bed and i replied " Kodaikanal", he was shocked to hear that. Few days back i had been telling him about trekking plan and he took them very lightly,  the evening when i started from Chennai i forgot to give him a call and inform him.

As i was talking the line got disconnected, i just realized that time is running and i chose not to call him back. I fed my mobile battery with more power.

The morning was chill and when i put my foot on the ground,  coldness penetrated through my skin giving me a whooo effect! then i remembered something missing. Last night was very cold and i even had mild fever and i remember wearing socks to keep myself  warm. As coldness penetrated my skin, my eyes and mind wandered hunting for the socks!socks, socks were are you! and how did you get off my leg?

Oh my god! what if a thief had entered the room and taken my belongings and my socks too!!  i quickly jumped over the side and checked my Wallet and bag. everything was at place, thank god everything is safe i thought. As i settled down, i found my socks just beneath my bed.
I could not explain , how this supernatural, paranormal thing happened!  may i got up during sleep and removed it myself, that's the possibility or may be i did not wear any socks at all!. What ever! As i was thinking about it i gave my face a splash of icy cold water.

The thoughts about the socks mystery vanished and the trek route came to thought. Outside the room was the dinner guy with a tea. It was already 7:30am now and i realized that its getting late so i had the say those hardest words "Boss please cancel my pooris", "Oh! i have heated the oil only for you, few minutes it will be ready" he said and he quickly vanished, vanished forever from my trip.I never had that poori and never paid for the stupid Tea. PS: Which i don't regret!



The Tea, worse ever. It tasted like some kind of brown coloring added to hot sugary water. I switched on my camera and swapped to video mode,facing the mirror as the video was running, i started talking about the day's plan. I thought that i should have something to remember the moment and the way i felt that moment. I could still feel the place, the morning sun rays got filtered through the glass window and the small ventilation outside the restroom gave the room a golden dim look. I could still feel the chillness on the floor, the cold temperature climbing through my feet.

After making the video, i was done with the tea and spent few minutes of my valuable time in restroom. Few minutes before the tea, the other caretaker gave a bucket of hot water. It is my tradition, not to bath in a cold place like kodaikanal.I used the hot water to wash my hands,legs and face. I did not even buy a soap!  My plan of not bathing was predetermined.It was 7:40am, knock on the door. The caretaker who gave me hot water was there and he said "Boss the customers are waiting, you will be checking out now?". Why don't you catch my collar, drag me out and throw my bag out? i thought and i replied " in few minutes" and i glanced outside the door and there were 6-8 people waiting!

I changed to the bright red T-shirt and Every other pieces of cloth sticking to my body remained unchanged. With the bag packed and the black jacket on i stood up packing my leg with the shoes and looked for the hotel room's key. I remember putting it under the pillow , i searched the whole bed, down the bed, i could not find it! first the socks, now the key!



Knock on the door again and the guy stood with the customer, it was a family waiting for me to vacate. I soon adjusted my socks and shoes and got out. I climbed the stairs and back to the top. I got on the road and i was clueless were and how to go. I thought i will start from the main bus stop, the kodaikanal bus stop and also wave a Good bye to my dominos friends.I asked a stranger for the route and he showed me a bustop near by from were i can get buses to the main bus stop. I started walking as i took some snaps of the plain blue morning sky.

The clouds were scattered along leaving way to the sun to shine on this beautiful place.I walked down a bend and took a left.I stood for couple of minutes and a bus came along. Just like everywhere, the bus halted few feet before the bustop. I jogged and got into the bus.20mins later i got down in the main Bus stop and looked around., I walked towards Dominos and on the way found a roadside Idly shop.The shop was on the corner with a table and some space to stand . Two men worked together to run the shop, one washed dishes and other served.

The sambhar was boiling in a big vessel and the idly was steamed in another vessel. when the Idly plate was taken out from the vessel, a hush of steam opened up and soon mixed with the fog. i was the first customer and I had 4 Idly's with sambhar mixed with a little bit of  white chutney. I'm actually a lucky charm for roadside shops!  years back in vellore when i was the first customer for a roadside shop , the business for that particular day was at peak! the shopkeeper thanked me the next time i went. similarly , as i was eating here, 5-6 people out of nowhere came and ordered food! and i thought " Yes i still got it!"

 "Dolphin nose, how to get there?" i asked the 2 men in the shop, " Take the straight road and left after crossing the coakers walk" they said. I also inquired about the route to Vellakavi village and from there to periyakulam. after waving a bye and paying them, i started walking. It was the same old route as yesterday, but a diversion after a particular point takes me to Dolphin's nose.I should meet those guys in dominos and even get a parcel. As i thought, i walked as the cool wind kissed my face and smelled of chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment